Exfoliation: We know it feels good, leaves your skin smooth AF and is usually a delish smelling scrub….but is it for everyone? Should we try it? YES and YES.
Let’s take a step back and start with the simple q of…what is exfoliation?
- Smooths Skin
- While this is probs a given, you’d be surprised how many peeps just don’t exfoliate ( we call this ‘rough around the edges). By sloughing off dry, lifeless skin cells, you leave your skin more even. More even = smoother
- Minimizes Pores + Reduces Breakouts
- All the grime and dirt of life is stuck in your face. Literally. Your pores are filled with built-up filthy debris, making your pores large and visible (not cute) — just waiting to be exfoliated away! Exfoliating removes this dirt and minimizes the appearance of pores. Similarly, excess oil that leads to breakouts is swept away when exfoliating. Win, win.
- Allows Absorption of Creams & Moisturizers
- With all those impurities chilling in your pores, there is no space for your fav creams & moisturizers to flow into & hydrate your skin.
Do’s and Don’t
- Do not over exfoliate.
- It’s usually too much to exfoliate more than a few times a week. Over exfoliating can potentially worsen skin issues like dryness, blotchiness and acne. Count. Us. Out. Even if you are only doing it 1x a week, do not scrub like a mad (wo)man. Be gentle.
- Don’t use harsh scrubs on your face (even though they sound good enough to eat *coconut & coffee☕*).
- Thinking of using your body scrub on your face? Step away from the body scrub!!! Using your body scrub on your skin can cause lasting damage that while not visible to the naked eye, will hurt you in the long run. Body scrubs typically have larger, irregular grains that are safe for use on the tougher parts of your body (below the neck) but could seriously damage that beautiful face. For your face, rounder, micro grains are most effective. One of our faves is Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash.
- Do chose simple, natural-ingredient based exfoliants.
- It’s always best to reach for products with natural foundations rather than chemical foundations. It’s better for your skin and the environment!
- Do exfoliate.
- Bottom line. Just do it.